Monday 22 July 2013

Family organisation - Noticeboard

In my kitchen I had an A3 sized pinboard and a flip calendar for us to organise our lives. The pinboard became so full that things kept falling off it (usually in the middle of the night!), so I decided to get a bigger pinboard. I could not, however, find a larger pinboard without going for a (very expensive) commercial one so decided to look at alternatives.

After inspiration from the web I decided to look at using various frames to provide information we needed but I didn't like the look of a lot of different items on the wall so decided to fix small frames to a much larger frame which hangs in the kitchen. It also means you only have to install one fixing to the wall.

 Noticeboard on wall
Calendar section 

I decided to have split the frames into monthly calendar, future calendar dates, to do list, useful telephone numbers, pinboard (for vouchers) and pinboard (for other general stuff). This could obviously be adapted to what items you wanted. We tend not to use the "to do list" for to do items but to record what items we run out of as it happens (which comes in very useful when doing the shopping list). 

All frames are from Ikea who have plastic screens rather than glass. This makes them lightweight and we use whiteboard markers to record information which can then be wiped off easily when required. The calendar section has paper behind the frame showing 5 weeks and depending on the month the dates are added to suit. 

I used some cheap pinboards from a DIY store and cut to size to fix the frames.

The larger frame has had the plastic screen removed and I used fabric to cover it. Tacks are nailed through to the backing wood which allows each of the frames to be removed and replaced as required. 

One thing I would have liked to include is a section to store the pens but there wasn't enough room once I laid everything out. 




No comments:

Post a Comment